Driving puts your life into risk. Traffic is unpredictable, it can happen anywhere at any time.
If you encounter an accident, where do you need to start? How sure are you that your claim from the damage properly will be handled effectively? If you are unsure of the results after a road accident, being aware of the steps you need know can give you peace of mind.
Before sending your car for repair after an accident, below is a checklist that you may consider.
Car Accident Checklist
- Choose An Insurance Company. In case you are not at fault of the road accident, you are free to choose an insurance company you want to. But, if another party is at fault, you do not have the choice for the insurance company in fixing your car. If you prefer your own insurance company since you pay for that particular insurance, the company will provide your needs. If a collision or comprehensive coverage is the case, you are paying for it every month. But, if you only have liability coverage, you will have the at-fault-driver insurance.
- Keep Safe. Be aware that roadways are still hazardous even after an accident. You need to ensure that you are away from any further road issues. After being involved in a road accident, there might be more cars passing through. The best thing for you to do is to stop your car and never block the road.
- Call for a Help. If there is someone who is injured, call a help. Whether there is an emergency or just a minor issue, it is still necessary to call for the police. By doing so, you are also ensuring police notification is essential for the insurance claim.
- Collect the Evidence. Getting facts and collecting helpful evidence will spend most of your energy and time. You can start by writing down the date, time, place as well as the details of how the road accident happened. Collecting the driver’s license numbers, names, contact numbers, vehicle types and addresses is a good help. After that, you can look for people who witness the accident and the data collection. You can get their names, contact information and addresses.
- Go Home. A road accident is stressing, so it is better for you to go home and take time to rest. Since you are already done with the necessary evidence, you can relax your mind. By simply gathering facts and pictures of the accident, you strengthened the case and made it easier to acquire the insurance coverage you needed.
- Choose the Shop. Although your insurance company has its preferred car repair shop, you still have the choice which shop you wanted to work with. You need to choose a reputable shop so that you are sure that your needs will be given according to your expectations.
Road accidents may not be predicted, but if you know how to handle them, there is no way for you to worry. Always keep yourself safe on the road and be aware of the necessary checklist after a road accident.